United Day Nursery
Flood of 1997
Thank You -
You Have Been Such a Blessing
United Day Nursery Director Suzie Thorson writes...
We have received grants, donations, and moral support from foundations and individuals all
across the United States. It has been overwhelming, humbling, and incredibly wonderful.
We are grateful for all the gifts - it gave us HOPE. God blessed us and we are very thankful.
I am thankful for my wonderful family that has been with me every step of this journey -
a journey that I will never forget. I am thankful for my caring sister, Harriet, who took
us into her home with open arms. I am thankful for all our Board members who gave me
guidance and support. I am thankful for our Staff who are so dedicated to the children and
gave so much of themselves. I am thankful to the foundations and individuals who gave us funds
to make the rebuilding of United Day Nursery possible. God blessed me by surrounding me with
his caring people and I am very thankful.
United Day Nursery Angels...
The following organizations and individuals blessed us with the funds, toys, and supplies
we needed to recover from the flood and rebuild:
- Otto Bremer Foundation
- United Way
- North Dakota Community Foundation
- Grand Forks Community Flood Relief Fund
- Grand Forks Public Schools
- Federal Emergency Management Agency
- Bush Foundation/Otto Bremer Foundation Partnership
- North Dakota/Minnesota AFL/CIO
- Child Care Resource and Referral
- Lutheran Brotherhood
- Aid Association for Lutherans - North Dakota/Minnesota
- The York Children's Foundation
- Alan and Mary Ann Draves
- Child Development and Learning Center
- Motorola Employees, Schaumburg IL
- The Progress Club Foundation
- Trinity Lutheran Church Vacation Bible School, Moulton OH
- Aid Association for Lutherans - Trinity Lutheran Church, Moulton OH
- Grand Forks Lions Club
- American Crystal Sugar
- Grand Forks Urban Development
- Garden of Peace Lutheran Day School, St. Petersburg FL
- Ready, Set, Grow - Woodbury MN
- Los Altos United Methodist Church, Los Altos CA
- Aid Association for Lutherans - Christ Lutheran Church, Hazelton PA
- Calvary Lutheran Church Women, Rapid City SD
- Pioneer Women
- Immanuel Lutheran Church, Watertown WI
- Bethel Lutheran Church, Marysville WA
- Gateway 2000 Foundation
- United Day Nursery parents
- Other friends of United Day Nursery
The completed Spectrum classroom, July 1998.
Banner from one of the churches who helped us, Trinity Lutheran Church, Moulton, Ohio.
"I am happy that the Spectrum is fixed so Lyla can have her music room back.
Our paper and Legos went with the flood but some people gave us money to buy new
ones to use." - Rebecca
On July 2, 1998, we dedicated the rebuilt Spectrum classroom, in the lower level of United
Lutheran Church. The Spectrum, along with our kitchen and lunchroom, was filled with
nine feet of water during the 1997 flood, and everything inside was lost. With help from
many generous organizations and individuals, we have completed rebuilding.
Many parents attended the dedication, along with Board members and donors who
supported our flood recovery. Greg Mannel, associate pastor of United Lutheran Church,
gave the blessing. Director Suzie Thorson
thanked all who helped make our recovery possible. Grand Forks Mayor Pat Owens also visited us.
Before the dedication, we held our annual Fourth of July parade.
Suzie Thorson retired as of December 31st, 1998. She had been with United since 1972. Suzie will
truly be missed by all the staff and parents of United Day Nursery, Inc. Suzie, we wish you
and Lyle the very best.
With everything that happened in the past year, what are you most thankful for and why?
United Day Nursery staff members write...
- I am the most thankful for all the people who came to our aid and that nobody lost their
lives. - Dixie Horner
- I'm thankful for all the help I receive from all the volunteers in Grand Forks to get my home
cleaned and somewhat back to normal. I'm thankful for my children and all their help.
- Patricia Haugland
- I am thankful for my family and friends and that I have a home to come to. Some of my friends
lost their complete home and belongings. I am also thankful for all the help given to us by
the Red Cross, Salvation Army, and others. It was hard to accept help, but we are very
appreciative. - Lila Jane Nelson
- I am thankful for many things, but most importantly the children - for making us smile when
we really needed it. - Marilyn Yanish
- The generosity of so many people. the caring and concern of the staff here at United.
- Janice Hinkley
- Thankful that my family, friends, and people I work with came through safely in the flood.
Glad to be back to United. - Jan Marto
- I am thankful for all the help we received. It shows that people really care. - Yvette Berard
- I am most thankful that my family is safe and that we are all back on track. - Christie Taylor
- My family was safe - we can rebuild and replace items, but not us! - Sheila Wright
- I'm thankful for my family and friends. I'm really glad everybody has made it through this
terrible time. - Kabie Wilson
- I'm thankful for people - things are not as important. - Delores Leshuk
- I'm thankful for running water. - Heather Zabel
- I'm thankful first of all that my family was all safe and that they made it through the flood.
I'm thankful that United decided to stay where we are and not move to another site.
- Roseann Koppy
Top | Previous Page | Our Flood Story - Chapter One | Home
Copyright © United Day Nursery 1998
This page maintained by Alan Draves.